- Accessories Shown In The Image Is Only For Reference Purpose,
- Product colour may slightly vary due to photographic lighting sources or your monitor settings,
- Our products are made by hand, small imperfections / differences in shape, size and colour can happen and are part of the charm of a handmade product. This part of the handmade process is what makes our products unique and should not be seen as a fault. They will never affect the overall aesthetic of the product and its ability for use as intended.
- Washing Care: Hand Wash Separately In Cold Water With Mild/Liquid Detergents Recommended, Do not Bleach, Iron On Reverse, Dry In Shade.
- Kala Cotton of Kachchh is the original pure Old World cotton of India. Byhand’s Kala Cotton Initiative encourages sustainable cotton textile production, and the preservation of agricultural and artisan livelihoods in Kachchh.
- Why Kala Cotton?
- Kachchh has experienced rapid industrialisation since the 2001 earthquake. While the impact of big industry has its positives, it has adversely impacted cultural livelihoods and their endurance is now shrouded in uncertainty. The number of weavers in Kachchh has declined from over 2000 in the mid 1990s to only 600-700 in practice today. Small-scale weavers cannot buy raw materials in bulk, and face the greatest difficulties in integrating with changing markets. There was a clear need to develop a local value chain in order to insulate these weavers from external market fluctuations. To do this, a raw material was required that was locally grown, environmentally friendly, that had the potential to create social value.Kala cotton is indigenous to Kachchh and by default organic, as the farmers do not use any pesticides and synthetic fertilizers. It is a purely rain fed crop that has a high tolerance for both disease and pests, and requires minimal investment. It is both resilient and resurgent in the face of stressful land conditions.Kala Cotton is one of the few genetically pure cotton species remaining in India, and one of the only species of pure, old world cottons to be cultivated today on a large scale. It forms a strong, coarse, stretchable fibre that is often used in denim.